- OMD in China
- Expert in Acupuncture & Chinese Medicine
- One of the Few Acupuncturists Hold a Ph.D. in Acupuncture from China
- California Licensed Acupuncturist
- Professor at Chinese Medical Universities in China, US, & Canada
- 11 Years of Training in Both Oriental & Western Medicine
- 31 Years of Experience in Hospital & Clinical Practice
- Author of Numerous Books and Journal Articles on Acupuncture
- Works in Newport Beach and Irvine Clinics
MEDICAL EDUCATION BACKGROUND
Dr. Shi earned his bachelor’s degree in Chinese medicine from China’s Guiyang College of Chinese Medicine in 1986, after five years of training in both Chinese and Western medicine. He completed his residency at Zhenyuan County Hospital in Guizhou, China, in 1988.
He then pursued three additional years of training in both Chinese and Western medicine and earned his master’s degree in acupuncture from the same college in 1991. Dr. Shi continued his training at Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine, one of the most prestigious Chinese medical universities of its kind in China.
He received doctoral training from doctoral professor, Dr. Jin Rui, who has more than 50 years of medical experience and is one of the most famous acupuncture doctors and masters in China and the world. In 1994, Dr. Shi earned his Ph.D. in acupuncture.
After earning his Ph.D., Dr. Shi worked as an associate professor and an assistant doctoral adviser for Ph.D. students at Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine. He also worked as a chief physician in the acupuncture department of the university’s First Affiliated Hospital, one of the largest comprehensive hospitals in China.
In 1999, Dr. Shi came to the United States and worked as an associate professor and associate academic dean at Five Branches University, Graduate School of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Santa Cruz, California. And later, he worked as a professor and academic dean at Samra University of Oriental Medicine in Los Angeles. Dr. Shi was appointed a professor and taught classes in the Ph.D. program at the American Institute of Acupuncture Orthopedics & Traumatology in San Francisco in 1999. Prior to that appointment, Dr. Shi served as a guest professor at the International College of TCM in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
Throughout his years of practice, Dr. Shi has taught a full array of acupuncture courses for graduate students. He also taught continuing education courses for licensed acupuncturists.
In 1996, Dr. Shi was appointed a member of the Bylaws Advisory Committee of the College of Acupuncturists of British Columbia, Canada, and helped develop the Bylaws for the College of Acupuncturists of British Columbia. In 2002, Dr. Shi was appointed an Examiner on the Expert Panel at the College of Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and Acupuncturists of British Columbia, Canada.
Dr. Shi founded Dragon Acupuncture & Herb Center, Inc. with his wife, Dr. Huifang Zhao, in Santa Clarita, California, in 2002. He is expanding his practice to Orange County, California, to serve an even greater number of patients.
PUBLICATIONS, Conference participation, and Presentations
Dr. Shi has published a dozen books. He served as chief editor of:
- Therapeutics of Acupuncture-Moxibustion (English), Medicine & Health Publishing Co., Hong Kong, Oct. 1996.
- Essentials for Acupuncture Practice (English), Medicine & Health Publishing Co., Hong Kong, Apr. 1998.
- Acupuncture and Moxibustion Branch, Series of University Textbook of Traditional Chinese Medicine for Overseas Students (English-Chinese), the People’s Health Publishing House, Apr. 1999.
He also edited:
- The Foundation of Acupuncture-Moxibustion (English), Medicine & Health Publishing Co., Hong Kong, Feb. 1997.
- The Foundation of Traditional Chinese Medicine (English), Medicine & Health Publishing Co., Hong Kong, Feb. 1997.
- Traditional Chinese Acupuncture in Modern Therapeutics (English), Medicine & Health Publishing Co., Hong Kong, Dec. 1997.
- Essentials of the Contemporary External Therapies, China TCM Publishing House, Aug. 1996.
- Essentials for Acupuncture Practice, Medicine & Health Publishing Co., Hong Kong, Oct. 1996.
- Essentials of Acupuncture Treatment, Medicine & Health Publishing Co., Hong Kong, Nov. 1996.
- New Therapeutics of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, the People’s Health Publishing House, May 1997.
- San Zhen Therapy, China Medical Science and Technology Publishing House, Nov. 1998.
- Management of Acupuncture and Moxibustion Clinic, Jiangxi Science and Technology Publishing House, Sept. 2001.
Dr. Shi has also published many journal articles and participated in and presented at many international conferences on Chinese medicine and acupuncture.
Awards and Media
Dr. Shi was awarded the third level of progress of science technology by the China State Administration of TCM in 1998. He was awarded the second level of progress of science technology by China Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine in 1997.
In 2000, Dr. Shi was included in the publication, 2000 Outstanding Scientists of the 20th Century, in honor of his outstanding contributions to the field of medical science by the International Biographical Center, Cambridge, England.
The following newspapers publicized Dr. Shi’s achievements in acupuncture:
- Dec. 15, 1998, Health (China)
- Feb. 8, 1996, Asia Pacific Economy Times (Guangzhou, China)
- July 8, 1996, Korea CNS
- March 1, 1995, Macao Daily (Macao)
- July 15, 1994, Wen Hui Bao (Hong Kong)
- July 12, 1995, Southern Daily (Guangzhou, China)
- 1994, European Times (Paris, France)